Archive for August 2014 | Monthly archive page
Here is the latest project I did for the 2014 ICE Resin Creative Team.
INSPIRATION: I am a hopeless romantic, and I love hearts! I have always liked collecting them, and decided to use the Mixed Metal Hobnail Heart Bezels in Antique Silver to make a pair of earrings. I wanted them to be rustic, so to achieve the look of earrings from the old days, I used a two pieces of Vintage ceiling tiles as their base. I also wanted to incorporate the color red to add to the romantic feel of the earrings, which I did by using the Iced Enamels in Garnet Relique.
2 1-inch pieces of Vintage Ceiling Tiles, with sharp edges filed to smooth them
2 Mixed Metal Hobnail Heart Bezels in Antique Silver, Small
2 Multicolored Gem Brads, 4 mm, in Gold
Disposable Paint Brushes
Iced Enamels™ Medium
Iced Enamels™ in Garnet Relique AND Ivory Relique
Art Mechanique™ German Glass Glitter, Silver
Black Sharpie Marker
Words from an old book or newspaper and White Glue
20 gauge Sterling Silver Wire for Ear Wires and 4 Jump Rings
Torch, for balling ends of wire
Ball Peen Hammer and Drill or Hole Punch Pliers
1) Cut out 2, 1 inch pieces of the Vintage Ceiling Tiles. Be sure to use your Metal File to smooth the rough edges.
2) Choose the words you want to use from an old book or newspaper. Tear them out, keeping their rough edges for a rustic look. Lightly blacken the edges of the words with the Sharpie Marker.
3) Inside of the heart bezels, lightly paint the ICED Enamels® Medium. Once dry, sprinkle the Iced Enamels® Ivory Relique into the bezels. Heat with the heat gun until they have “melted” and attached to the bezel bottom. Allow to cool.
4) Add one word to each heart and use a very small amount of glue to adhere them to the bottom of the hearts. Let dry.
5) Sprinkle the Art Mechanique™ German Glass Glitter in Silver over the words, using as much or as little as you would like. TIP: A little goes a long way!
6) Mix the ICE Resin® according to package directions. Gently stir with the pop sickle stick and let sit for a few minutes to allow any air bubbles to rise to the surface.
7) Using the disposable paint brushes, lightly paint the ICE Resin® over the Iced Enamels® in Garnet Relique. This will seal and protect the Iced Enamels®.
8) Pour the rest of the ICE Resin® into the bezels being careful not to over fill, but just until you have a nice dome. Allow to dry at room temperature according to package directions.
9) Once the tile is dry, punch or drill a hole at the top of the tile where you would like to hang the earring.
10) Punch or drill another small hole at the top corner of the tile and insert the 2 Multicolored Gem Brads, one on each earring.
11) Open the jump rings and insert one in the hole for the ear wire, and add the bezel before closing it. Attach another jump ring to hang from the ear wire. Repeat on opposite earring.
12) Cut approximately 2 to 2 ½ inches of Sterling Silver Wire and use the torch to ball the end of the wire. Form the wire in the shape of the ear wire, and hammer lightly on the end and near the curve to finish the ear wire.
Try to think "outside the box" and use a found object in your pieces to add interest. What will you create today?